Friday, October 17, 2008

The Begger

So I pulled in to the Quick Trip for some gas – I noticed a fella sadly walking around hauling a gas can. Now, typically I feel for this sort of situation, however in our current economic climate, I sometimes feel like I should be the jerk toting the gas can.

My usual response is to silently pray for a fellow in these certain ‘distresses’. So, I did, and seamlessly avoided contact.

I parked, swiped my card and proceeded to pump fuel into my tank. I pulled out what I thought was a buck or two in change from the truck and headed to the convenience part of the store to pick up a couple lotto tickets (remember, the economic climate – what better to spend your last surviving dollars than on than a couple lottery tickets?). While at the register I noticed the “begging” gentleman standing next to me offering a few collected bucks to the cashier - and as I stood there looking at the meager value in my palm, I realized that it wasn’t even enough to compensate a single lottery ticket. I looked at the guy, he looked at me, I offered my change to him and he shrugged an apparent “yeah” shrug, so I laid it on the counter.

I walked back to my truck feeling a bit better about myself knowing that I gave that “needy” dude the last 80 cents hard cash I had. While finishing my gas pump I noticed him approaching me, and then the inevitable; something about “I need this to do that” or “I gotta get a mile or two away” or whatever. I enlightened him to my financial status, and when he found out he had squeezed the “last” out of me, he shrugged and said, “Alright.” . . . I wanted to say, “Hey, don’t mention it, I know you’re not planning a trip to Tahiti, but remember, I did give you something – thanks for your gratitude.”

But I realized a couple things, in today’s socio-condition, it isn’t “him” that needs the explanation, its “us”, it’s always us. We are now under the most extreme pressure to explain our apparent perverse nature to take care of what WE want to, while neglecting the free-loader. And more importantly, I realized that all these thoughts were inadequate and wasteful, and tried to remember what Jesus would do . . . since I’ll never be able to offer anyone what He could, I’ll probably continue simply praying for the “needy” that cross my path – they seem to appreciate it more (in their silence).

No comments: